CO Dangers, Dr. D. Penney
Carbon Monoxide Danger in the Garage
Potential for Danger when a Furnace is Located in the Garage:
- Make up air / cold air return to furnace is all or partially supplied from the garage.
- Auto / lawn mower, or other internal combustion device in or near garage can lead to CO distribution directly into the living space via the heating ducts.
- Malfunction in furnace / corroded or improperly installed flue pipes / malfunction of water heater (if also in garage, as shown here) could conduct CO into the living space.
- How to avoid CO poisoning:
- - Never run car, lawn mower, etc. in/near garage.
- - Have 1 or 2 working CO alarms in the house.
- - Have heating appliances serviced frequently.
- - Change to have all make up air come from the house or the attic.
...... last changed 04/29/03
Back to Furnace Index