Architecture of the Circulation< Dr. D. Penney
Body fluid compartments
Total Body Water (60% of body wt) - determined with deuterium oxide (heavy water), aminopyrine
- Intracellular fluid (2/3's of body water; 40% of body wt)
- Extracellular fluid (1/3 of body water; 20% of body wt) - determined by the inulin (from artichokes) volume. It consists of:
- Interstitial fluid (75%, 15% body wt)
- Blood volume (25%; 8% of body wt)
- formed elements - Cr 51 tag to RBC's.
- plasma (5% of body wt) - determined with Evans blue dye (T - 1824).
Click to Return