Turbulence & Rheology, Dr. D. Penney
CAUSES OF TURBULENCE (separation of flow)
Note: turbulence damages blood vessel walls, increasing tendency for turbulence
- v .... stenosis, exercise, patent ductus arteriosus (shunt), cuff pressure between systolic and diastolic (arteriosclerotic plaque?)
- p .... not clinically important in blood (specific gravity = 1.045)
- r .... produces changes in v
- Eta .... decreased hematocrit (anemia)
- Re = vrp/Eta ....... "1000"
Not found in the Reynolds equation:
wall surface character
tube configuration - bends, "corners"
time - for turbulence to form, to go away
Click to Return