Cardiac Cycle, Dr. D. Penney
- Ventricular filling occurs as a purely passive process and is completely dependent upon atrial contraction.
- The major reason the mitral valve closes at the beginning of ventricular contraction is because of increasing pressure in the ventricle.
- The aortic valve closes at the end of systolic ejection because ventricular pressure falls below aortic pressure.
- The right and left heart pump exactly the same amount of blood per beat in every cardiac cycle.
- The right and left ventricles begin and end contractions at exactly the same time.
- The sounds heard through the stethoscope when taking blood pressure by the auscultatory method are made by heart valves opening and closing.
Return to Index