Later Development, Develop. Physiol., Dr. D. Penney
Table 3.21 - Change in the Heart with Age - as seen during Exercise.
- Predisposition to arrhythmias and failure under stress.
- Decrease in max. VO2, eg. (3.53 l/min. at 25 yrs to 1.17 l/min. at 75 yrs).
- Increased pulmonary wedge & LV end-diastolic pressures.
- Decreased max. heart rate, stroke volume & cardiac output.
- Increase in calculated peripheral vascular resistance at rest and at increased work-loads, compared to young individuals at same workload.
(VO2 max. = A-V O2 difference x cardiac output)
Return to Page 24