Later Development, Develop. Physiol., Dr. D. Penney
Table 3.20 - Change in the Heart with Age - as seen at Rest.
- Prolonged systole and isovolumic diastole.
- Increased LV ejection time.
- Increased pre - ejection period (Q-S1 & Q-S2).
- Increased isovolumic relaxation time.
- Increase in P -R, QRS, & Q-T intervals.
- Decreased QRS complex amplitude.
- Decrease in cardIAC output from 3rd to 9th decade (1% per yr.).
- Decrease in stroke volume.
- Increase in A-V O2 difference.
- Hypertrophy (50 g in 30 yrs.).
- Increased workload due to increased arterial stiffness and hypertension.
- Decreased ventricular/pericardial compliance?
Return to Page 24