CO Epidemiology, Page 6, Dr. D. Penney
CO poisoning from indoor burning of charcoal briquets, Oct., 1982 - Oct., 1993:
All Patients with unintentional CO poisoning
Incidents involving the Indoor Burning of Charcoal
Patients from the Indoor Burning of Charcoal
October - January
CO poisoning commonly occurred during power outages or when electricity was intentionally disconnected.
Minority races were disproportionately represented compared with the general population of the region.
CO poisoning is a significant hazard when charcoal briquets are burned indoors.
Reference: Hampson, N.B., C.C. Kramer, R.G. Dunford & D.M. Norkool. (1994) Carbon monoxide poisoning from indoor burning of charcoal briquets. JAMA, 271, 52-53.
...... last changed 02/05/00
CO Epidemiology 7
Back to CO Epidemiology 5
Back to CO Epidemiology Index